If a person already has a study permit, he/she can extend it from inside Canada without providing PAL.

It is recommended that you apply for the extension of your permit at least 30 days before its expiration date.


Please decide whether you want to apply online through the IRCC website or by submitting a paper application.


Provide documents like bank statements or a letter from a financial institution showing you have the required funds. 


Make sure you have enough funds to cover all of your tuition fees, living expenses, and other related costs.

Amount required

In case of being funded by a scholarship, sponsor, or government program, provide proof of the same 

Proof of Funds

Ensure the documents you provide are recent, transparent, and compliant with IRCC guidelines. 

Acceptable Documents

Complete the application form, which could be the IMM 5710 form for a study permit extension. 

Fill out forms

To apply for a study permit extension, submit an application through your IRCC account or mail it to the appropriate address.


You will receive a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) if required after submitting your application. 


An approved application notification will be sent to your Canadian mailing address or IRCC account within 4-6 weeks.